Sunday, June 1, 2014

HUGE Mexican Holiday, Today (and other things to celebrate as well)!!!


I did not take this photo, but this is the perspective I have of Banderas Bay (from about 15 stories higher and farther back).


Last night, INTENSE fireworks continued for at least half an hour -- TWICE what I've ever seen here before -- all to begin the Holiday, which I spent at Mismaloya Beach, swimming with the hole in my foot for the first time in half a year -- and eating a fresh-speared red snapper, grilled "garlic style".





>>> SOME THINGS TO CELEBRATE:

1.

Today is Navy Day, or Dia De La Marina, throughout Mexico, it's a day to honor the service men of the Mexican Navy.

Mexico's history has shown the importance of being able to patrol and defend the country's coastlines, in order to prevent invasions. Many such conflicts have occurred in Mexico's past.

Along with defense, there is a need to develop and take advantage of the oceans in a rational and organized way. To Mexico, its seas are also a great source of bounty and employment.

For these reasons, the history of the Mexican National Navy runs parallel to the birth of Mexico as a nation in the year 1821.

The Mexican National Navy has been a prime protagonist in every phase of this country's development as a free, independent and sovereign country.




2. In Writers Group, yesterday, I did read half of Chapter 23, "An Uptown Soiree" from my memoir of working for Tennessee Williams, WALKING ON GLASS: A MEMOIR OF THE LATER DAYS OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, which can be read here for free: http://laterdaysoftennesseewilliams.blogspot.mx/.


We were pressed for time, so I did NOT read the opening note, but simply told them WHY that group was NOT the right audience for my political blog or politics. The note begins the posting that is published here, along with the "Half-Chap"http://theweathercontinues.blogspot.mx/2014/05/an-uptown-soiree-excerpt-from-walking.html.


It was VERY well received, and I got the most astute comment from Stan, my friend who was born in Wilmington, North Carolina, and spent nearly his entire life there and in Raleigh -- even knowing and working with my distant wealthy Kenan relatives. I don't remember exactly what he said, but it was about the cadence and rhythm of my writing, which he thought was just perfect.


DEFINITELY a Southern Thing -- but he and I also share a more specific North Carolina Cadence as well (him more than me).


3.




My niece, Taylor, after a year at Penn State University, transferred to her first choice, UNC, Chapel Hill, TWO YEARS AGO, and she has just competed her junior year. No one told me of Taylor's transfer until this past Mother's Day, when I called my brother to discover he was driving Taylor to the airport to catch a flight to Santiago, Chile.


THAT'S RIGHT: This is how much my closest of relatives (my brother), trusts me -- he hadn't told me a THING. Taylor was accepted into the Kenan-Flagler Business School's summer intensive business/Spanish language immersion program -- and is attending on full MERIT scholarship as well!!!


Another reason I have to THANK one or another of the Kenan Family Charities who not only founded and run the SCHOOL, but awarded my niece the scholarship!!!


4.



And finally, tonight, I heard from lawyer Rishi Nair (actually, about 24 hours ago), and I will say that I believe we came to a FAR BETTER understanding of each others' positions and points -- as well as to some EMPATHY for all involved.


We have commenced on negotiations that must remain private, but I am quite confident that we will find a way to settle things between his client and myself.


Scott





.

No comments:

Post a Comment