Sunday, March 1, 2015

NOW ON FIRE: Mismaloya, Mexico – Site of Tennessee Williams’s THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA – Entire Town Has Been Ordered EVICTED (and protests have ensued)!!!


Barcelo Hotel, Mismaloya



Mismaloya Beach, south of the Hotel Barcelo



My plan, today, was to visit the Botanical Gardens, and then a little beach time (and internet), in Mismaloya, but passing through it on the way to the Gardens, for half a mile protestors lined the main highway. I stopped and spoke with an American protestor, who explained some and that there is a meeting today, so thinking I could get back and speak with some people about 2:00 or so after the meeting, I went to the Gardens, walked around some, had lunch, and then decided I could think of nothing else, so back to Mismaloya.

The entire town was closed and nearly empty of people – including the beach palapa restaurants. They had all gone to the meeting – in Boca de Tomatlan, about ten miles behind me. The meeting would be in Spanish, and I am no good at waiting, so I asked around for more info and plan to go back tomorrow to get the full scoop since I know the Mayor of that community and several top businessmen.

So tomorrow I hope to file a more detailed report, but this is the little I now know. The family who owned the enormous Barcello Hotel on the beach, sold it but has papers going back more than 50 years showing they own the land the entire town – at least to the Pacific side of the highway – was built on, and that would have included all the houses that John Huston built for cast and crew, but dissolved due to salt mixed into the sand of the mortar.

The hotel itself was far better built and the owner, said to live in Guadalajara, rebuilt its roof in the last few years and takes reasonably good care of that dormant, fenced-off property which is NOT included in this situation. Here is my report of my guided tour through it by one of John Huston’s Mexican friends: 

http://theweathercontinues.blogspot.mx/2014/03/my-visit-to-ruins-of-night-of-iguana.html


Today’s meeting included the Mayor of Puerto Vallarta as well as the one from Guadalajara (which makes no sense to me, since that city is five hours away, although we are all in Jalisco State). I am told the PV Mayor very much supports the townspeople keeping their homes, and while I don’t know all the details, property ownership in Mexico would seem BEYOND UNDERSTANDABLE to anyone only familiar with owning property in the USA.

You see, on unused land meeting certain qualifications, Mexican nationals can simply squat and after a number of years claim ownership – EXACTLY why the owner of the Night of the Iguana Hotel has fenced off and guards the property from squatters.

So, let me find out more tomorrow. My impression is that a decision of what to do would not happen at the meeting today, but will happen soon. Then, everyone in the village would have two weeks to completely evacuate, getting no compensation for their developments (all to be torn down for a huge luxury hotel), whether homes or businesses – and no help to where they might go.


>>> IN OTHER NEWS:


1. MAJOR new corruption problems on my computer – until I called Testosteroni in New York and described them. They immediately stopped after a re-boot. Someone was listening. My modem is finally showing all lights, meaning I should have internet, but cannot connect, so after tomorrow’s news gathering, I’ll try again to get Telecable out here to fix it.

2. I watched the DVD of Del Shore’s My Sordid Life last night. And Del is SUCH a good writer, but I still think he is STUCK in this “Sordid” franchise, which is messing with his ability to think right – the reason being that it is so NEGATIVE about Southern Christians, both gay and straight, which he properly made several things of as art, but after a while, you just cement that kind of foolishness into your consciousness.

You see, Del delivers sometimes even shocking material, but he NEVER addresses the real problem, the belief that Jesus or anyone else could actually be the literal son of God – Jesus only claimed to be the Son of Man, meaning like man is the evolved son of animal, Jesus was what we are ALL meant to next evolve into. He always claimed to be a Jew and that anyone following him had to convert first to Judaism.

This continued after his death for a while – but all those Gentile adult men got SICK of the pain of circumcision (and I don’t blame them for that!!!), and figured out a way to break off so they could stop THAT!!!


TRUTH!!! Jesus resisting a Christian Republican

And while there is no SPECIAL harm in believing in the divinity of Jesus, it starts a lifelong habit of being able to believe anything that can’t stand the tests of Reason or Love.

I believe this is why Del takes none of my warnings about his friends in Puerto Vallarta, whom I believe are deeply into narco-trafficking, seriously. And worse than that, Del emailed me the story of how his whole town in Texas, but on the Mexican border, BLEW UP years ago when it was discovered that the very best Christian people were TOTALLY into narco-trafficking (politicians, ministers, businesspeople), and in Del’s opinion, it RUINED the town.

Now, decades later, Del is of the generation prone to all of this, but not being that sort of person, he refuses to see that his successful theater-owning friends are involved.

‘Tis a pity!!!

Scott






.

No comments:

Post a Comment